Ian Hogan wrote:

> The gist: I have a Cisco 605 Internal DSL modem. I guess it's technically a
> bridged ethernet router, but they call it a modem anyways. When linux boots,
> the light on the card never comes on, leading me to believe the device is
> never recognized. I have a static IP from my ISP and USWest, and under
> windows, TCP/IP is the only protocol installed.

The internal 605 is basically a Windows-only device...there ain't no Linux
drivers for it.
You'll have to get the external 675, wherein drivers are a moot point, plus the
675 really IS a router (the 605 isn't), and you can do cool things with it like
firewalling, NAT, etc., i.e., secure your network behind it or run it to a
firewall box thence to a hub or switch for the rest of your boxen.  I wish they
were cheaper, too, but Cisco actually packs a whole lot of functionality into a
very small footprint, and if you're looking to expand your home network over
time, the 675 is a good investment.

Tom