One little note, QT and GTK are two entirely different widget sets.  QT is the
one used by KDE while GTK is uded by Gnome.  The problem has nothing to do with
the two differnt versions of QT.

As for the exact problem at hand, you might need to install gtk+ 1.2.7 as I
know that the versions run concurrently with one another.  I was trying to do
what you were doing and ran into similar problems.  I  just decieded to say
screw it and wait for an RPM of the two libraries.  I hate screwing with
important system libraries.

Tom