Lane Lester wrote:

> Civileme said:
> > POST the output of this and, if you show any files besides
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/kudzu
> > in the output, please attach them .  If kudzu is the only file, then attach
> it.
> > If you have something in /etc/pcmcia/serial, make sure you send that.
> > You will need to run the command in superuser mode
> > # rgrep -i -l -r telinit /etc
>
> [root@localhost /root]# rgrep -i -l -r telinit /etc
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/kudzu
>
> > There is a chance that it is in another directory besides /etc, but
> > # rgrep -i -l -r telinit /
>
> [root@localhost /root]# rgrep -i -l -r telinit /
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/kudzu
> /home/llester/.compupic/def.phd
> /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm
> /var/lib/rpm/fileindex.rpm
> /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db
> /var/log/netconf.log
> /var/log/netconf.log.1
> /root/.cscmail/7/9/597.msg
> /root/.cscmail/3/0/603.msg
> /root/.compupic/def.phd
> /root/.cscmail-save/.cscmail/7/9/597.msg
> /proc/kcore
>
> > We are NOT lookiing for files of the nature
> > /home/<username>/<somekindamail>/*,
> >nor /var/lib/*.rpm, nor /var/lib/*.db if you elect to
> > do this more thorough search.
>
> That looks like all I got.
>
> > Also post the output of
> > $ grep "^id:" /etc/inittab
>
> [root@localhost /root]# grep "^id:" /etc/inittab
> id:3:initdefault:
> --
> Lane
> ____
> Lane Lester / Madison County, Georgia USA
> Using Linux to get where I want to go...

Hmmm,

Well open /etc/rc.d/init.d/kudzu with kedit and search for
telinit

the line should look like

                grep -q "^id:5:initdefault:" /etc/inittab && telinit 5
If it doesn't, our problem may end there

Now the ~/.compupic/def.phd shows up in both directories so it is
something you are using, but what?  I do not recall this one from
my experience.  Could it be some resource file that runs?

Something is calling telinit during the boot or after login?
Which is it?  And considering how definitely linux frowns on
self-modifying code(at the machine level), the text for the
telinit call almost has to be set statically into a file or
dynamically into an environment variable.  See if you can dump
your environment with

printenv

If a variable is set to telinit or "telinit 5", then we need to
rgrep for it to find out where the setting is coming from.

Civileme

Also, look at /etc/fstab and see if there are mounts after /proc
in the table order.  If so, do the rgrep on each of those mounts
(/mnt/* excluded of course).

Civileme