Let's not do that yet!

I believe that the reason you get a totally blank screen when you just
do a startx is because you have an empty .xinitrc.

Since you have a .xinitrc the system one dosn't run 'cause it thinks
you want to replace it with your own, but yours doesn't do anything.

Thus a plain gray screen.

Try deleting it and then do a startx.

--
"Brian, the man from babbleon-on"               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brian T. Schellenberger                         http://www.babbleon.org