I had the same problem with an isp that assigned me an invalid
hostname on connection. If I opened an xterm before I dialed
and then once connected used the xterm to set my hostname back to
what it was then everything "unfroze." Wierd I know.

Civileme wrote:

> Stephen F. Bosch wrote:
> >
> > Okay, my turn to ask questions:
> >
> > I am setting up a machine for someone else who will only have dialup
> > access to the internet. I have managed to configure the modem without
> > any trouble; kppp can dial in, connect, and authenticate, and I can even
> >
> > surf and ping and all that good stuff.
> >
> > Here's the *strange* part:
> >
> > Once connected, I can't *open* anything. Nix. Nada. I can't open
> > anything on the Kpanel, I can't open apps from the Kmenu... the system
> > is paralyzed. All I can do, it seems, is disconnect kppp.
> >
> > No error messages of any kind.
> >
> > If I have Netscape open when I connect, I can surf normally. If I don't
> > have Netscape open, I'm SOL -- because it won't open.
> >
> > After I disconnect -- bingo, I can open apps again.
> >
> > Peculiar, no?
> >
> > -Stephen-
> >

> Your .kde might be corrupt--does this occur for ALL users or one user?
>
> There are workarounds such as configuring ppp from DrakConf->Networking
> and deleting the kppp and its icons if it is specific to kppp.  More
> likely though, is a problem with ~/.kde.  Depending on security level,
> there might be something in some of the configuration or options files.
>
> The fast test, if it is a ~/.kde problem is to rename ~/.kde to
> something else  and let it be regenerated by ctrl-alt-backspace and
> logging in as the same user.  If kppp then works, you know where the
> problem lies and you can retest as you put in every customized setting.
> If the same behavior evinces, then that is not the problem and you can
> delete the newly formed ~/.kde and rename the old one back to restore
> customizations.
>
> Other places to look?  /etc/ppp/options  /etc/ppp/ifup-ppp
>
> Civileme

"Definitions involving chicken heads no longer apply."
  -Jon katz