Trevor Farrell said:
>  Been there, done that.
>
>  >
>  > You have, I'm guessing that both cd's are on the same cable, set the dip
>  > switches to the correct master or slave settings??
>  >

>  That too! Both devices work perfectly under win95 and BeOS 5, only Linux has
>  problems.

Just to let you know that I, too, have followed the "standard" directions and
have been unable to get my cd-writer working right. I have two hard drives on
my first IDE port. On the second I have the cd-writer as master and a zip drive
as slave. The last experiment I tried had the zip drive showing up in xcdroast
and not the cd-writer. And there were weirdnesses about ordinary read access to
the drives as well. It looks like it's possible for the slave to overwrite the
assignment that the master was given, so that only the slave shows up. I
=think= my solution may be to switch the cd-writer and zip connectors.
Unfortunately, it's not that easy to get into my system, and also I'm sick and
tired of all the experiments I tried with this already. Since almost all of my
cd writing needs are still in Win 98, I've put this project on the back burner
for now.
--
Lane
____