On Sun, 09 Apr 2000, you wrote:

>     2)  If my ISP hangs me up (it does occasionally) and I try to
> reconnect, I get the message modem not responding from kppp.  I can't
> send an ATDT to the modem, because it's not responding.  The only way to
> clear it up is to reboot.  Is there any other way to reset the modem.

I have seen this happen also, sometimes pppd, does not seem to know that kppp
died. Try doing a kill -9 `pidof pppd` as root and see if that kills it, and
allows the modem to be reset

If you have an external modem, you could try powering it off then back on.

--
Alex
(Go easy on me, I'm a COBOL programmer in real life)