Icebreaker,

I can only repeat what has been said about modems. Winmodems don't work
in Linux too good. Yes, a win-linux-modem is being developed.

The modem that does work for Linux very well, and right now, uses a TI
chipset from Texas Instruments. Phoebe internal and external uses it on
some models and the USR Sportster external 56K  modem uses it. I can
only attest to the USR external. It works in Windows and L-M6.0 without
any problems. I turned it on and used KPPP the first time and every time
thereafter.

The money you spend on a TI chipset will more than make up for the
aggravation you are experiencing right now.

Pj