From: Jim Hodgers [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2000 2:59 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [expert] Can't install KNEWS, and an opinion

Now my opinion
I am a programmer writing Accounting software for the Windows platform
using Visual Basic.
One of my REQUIRED tasks is assuring that the program will load on ANY
Windows machine
meeting the required hardware, using either Win95 or Win98. ANY required
libraries MUST be
included to assure this. In the Linux, it is quite common to find that you
must go out onto
the net and search for and load many required libraries, sometimes even
those won't install
until other files are obtained. Why not provide a COMPLETE package for
those that need it?
All the required dependency stuff it GPLed so all you would need to do is
acknowledge the
sources. This seems to be a matter of some heated feelings with some
developers, in fact
I was thoroughly chewed out by one developer whose program I still can't
install.
As long as Linux continues to have these niggling issues it will remain out
of the
range of most users.

PS I know! Visual Basic, ugg, yeck, boo hiss! It gets the job done and pays
the bills.