I am not getting much help on this from vmware folks. Although
someone here might have run into the same problem given all this
talk with private network and IP Masq.

I have VMware working fine at work such that I can open up a
linux or win9x guest OS and either of them *and* the host can
access network functions (telnet, browser).  This is most likely
because DHCP allows me to have more than one IP assigned.

However at home with my cable modem ISP only allowing *one* IP,
it seems that when I use a guest OS, the host is frozen out
of any network ability... and vice versa.  The cable modem is
currently hooked up directly to my PC with no IP masquing.
The guest does appear to receive a new DHCP generated IP from
the ISP which is different than that of the host.

Is the problem indeed because of the ISP's DHCP allocation.
Is there not a way for me to make the guest OS be given private
IP numbers ?  Once I were to setup IP masquing, would this then
allow VMware to generate private IPs for the guest OS as well ?

Thanks... Dan.