Sounds like slocate updating it's database.  On my system
(Mandrake 7) it does this daily. Have  a look in the /etc/cron*
files to see how yours is set up.   Harmless, and useful for finding
things. "man slocate" will reveal all.

HTH

Glyn M.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 11:08:40PM -0600, thus spake Guillermo Belli:
> I just installed MDK7-2, and I've noticed that after a period of time, there's
> a lot of HD activity and a high CPU load. I took a look at top, and it shows
> that the CPU hungry process is called 'slocate'. What is it? I did not notice
> this in previous versions of Mandrake.
>
> --
> *Guillermo Belli        -        Linux User #121340*
> *                 ICQ #38321312                    *
> *http://sites.netscape.net/memo81 (en construccion)*

       * "The soul is greater than the hum of it's parts. " *
       *                 Douglas Hoftstatder                *