I've got this little gizmo for some laser-tag gear that can hook up to a
computer by way of the parallel port and upload the game stats for the
players into a file on the system.  The software provided by the
manufacturer is DOS software, and the units are discontiunued, and they
don't seem willing to provide any info on the unit so I can try to
create a linux version of the software.  So here's my question...

How can I read arbitrary data in from say /dev/lp0 and save it to a
file.  I've tried cat, and cu while triggering the send from the device,
but both come back saying I don't have permissions (crwxrwxrwx).  I'm
trying to figure out what data is being sent, but I can't seem to read
from the port.  Based on some vague reports I've read, the device can be
hooked up to a printer if you have a male->female adapter, and the data
comes out as plain text.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to track
down a DB25 male->female adaptor anywhere, so I can't check that out.
Does anybody have any other suggestions?

        - Theo