Bruce E. Harris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a convert moving over from Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 (and before). So far I
> like Mandrake much more. However I have a very disturbing problem. RPM won't
> work anymore run anymore. Attempts to install a RPM will lock my system badly.
> Usually causing it to log out of X, many time I must do a hard shut down (kill
> power), or the HDD will just chatter and do nothing.
>
> I get an error ending with can't update (some lib6 cant remember the
> whole name, and the error msg will not generate anymore) but the last part is
> /var/lib/rpm/requiredby.rpm
>
> Any ideas?

Not really, but you might try reinstalling rpm from the Mandrake/RPMS directory
on the install cdrom.  Then, if you still have these problems, try rebuilding the
rpm database

           rpm --rebuilddb

If you still have problems using rpm, then read the rpm man pages, thoroughly.
There's also a --initdb option, but the documentation or man page doesn't explain
either of these options to any noteworthy extent.

What version of rpm are you using, if you still have problems?

           rpm --version

Read the man page on rpm and there you'll also find verify options.  I'm not sure
if this would do any good wrt the rpm requiredby database, but it might be
helpful in verifying rpm itself.

You can also do a search for RPMs which require the lib*6 file which seems to be
a problem.

           rpm -q --whatrequires {filename}

{filename} may need the entire path.

You can also check what RPM provides this problem file

            rpm -q --whatprovides {filename}

In this case, you may or may not need the complete path.

Do a search for the directory where this problem lib*6 file is located.  It
should be in either /usr/lib or /lib, but if it's not there, then use the find or
rpm command

          find / -name {filename}

Using rpm, you need to know which package or RPM provides this lib*6 file, such
as from the --whatprovides rpm query.  Once you have this information

          rpm -qil {package-name}

{package-name} must only contain the base name of the package, or at least no
more than this part and the version+release.  Don't include the .i386.rpm or
.noarch.rpm part, because this part isn't recorded in the rpm database.

If you still have problems, then post a follow-up; although, you might want to
first check what you could do using other rpm options.

mike