Alan,

That makes two of us. :) I have thought that "maybe* there was a conflict
between addresses of the video adapter and the HDD controllers. I brushed it
off with my Athlon, thinking that perhaps the kernel didn't properly support
the AMD Viper Ultra66 chipset. But when it happened again on my
fiancee's machine this weekend, and the same solution worked, I had to pose
the question.

-Chris