Hello,

I have recently installed Mandrake 7.02 on both of my home machines. Oddly
enough, on both of them I had the exact same problem. The installation would
go fine, but when the machine rebooted I would get a kernel panic because it
was not able to mount the root filesystem. On both machines Mandrake was
installed on its own seperate hard drive (slave on the primary controller).

The first machine is an AMD Athlon 700 (Viper chipset) and the second is an
IBM Aptiva Pentium II 266.

Whats weird about this was the solution. :) If I add "vga=0x0301" to the
append line of lilo.conf, rerun lilo, the filesystem mounts fine.

Heh, don't think for a second that figured out this solution from the ground
up. :) I noticed it after installing numerous distros of Linux on one machine
and having the exact same problem. I then installed SuSE 6.3 and it actually
worked. I noticed that it appended vga=0x0301 to lilo.conf so I tried it out
on Mandrake - it worked.

Sure enough, if I remove it right now, it won't be able to mount the root fs.

Can anyone tell me what this parameter does? Or why it was necessary to add
it to the only two machines in the world I have installed Linux on? Was this
a fluky thing that just happened to work? I'd be interested in hearing whats
up with this. Thanks...

-Necro