Lane Lester wrote:

> If you're an expert you'll probably think this is a newbie question.
> <g>. I've looked at a bunch of man pages, howtos, and Web sites without
> finding the answer... which may be the answer!
>
> Can you put two "low-level" directories in the same partition? For
> example, can I have / in one partition and both /etc and /usr in one
> separate partition?  If so, what goes in fstab?

There is two different aspects to the answer:
1. you _can_ have two "low-level" directories in the same partition,
but you'll have to use a link somewhere. Example: say that you want
to mount /usr and /home in the same partition, you declare the
partition as /usr, and you _don't_ declare /home at all in fstab,
instead you set up a link /home  ->  /usr/home or something like this.
(my example might not be very well chosen, eg. you might want to
mount /usr read-only, but you can see the method ...)

2. there is AFAIK no way to put /etc in a different partition from /
because /etc is needed at once at boot time, before filesystems
other than / are mounted.

--
Jean-Louis Debert        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
74 Annemasse  France