Well, yes and no.
There is a 1 : 1 relationship of partitions to mountpoints
(directories).

So you can do something *like* this, but only by the use of symbolic
links.

However, as Mr. Shirley already pointed out, you really can't put /etc
on a seperate mount point anyway; you need /etc to mount the directories
in the first place, so it *must* be on the root (/) partition.  /etc is
rather small anyway; there's really no reason to move it anyway.

But if you wanted to put, say /home and /usr in the same partition, but
not the same partition as /, then what you'd do is to put one of them
(I'd use /usr!) into the /etc/fstab in the usual way, and then move the
/home directory to /usr and symbolically link them:

        mv /home /usr/home
        ln -s /usr/home /home

--
"Brian, the man from babble-on"              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brian T. Schellenberger                      http://www.babbleon.org