I probably qualify as a newbie here.  I have installed Mandrake 7.02
onto a dual pentium 166.  To my surprise the install process chose to
install the non-smp version of the kernel - without giving me an option
either.

I have tried installing the smp kernel rpm (I did an rpm -ivh, changed
the file links in /boot and ran lilo), but when I try to boot, it
complains that the modules were built for a different kernel (ie. the
non-smp version).

So I tried to build a custom kernel.  This is my first time doing this,
and I followed the instructions as closely as possible.  Although I
didn't notice any particular problems with the compile, when I eventually
got to the reboot it failed to boot with complaints about problems with
various modules (particularly the SCSI driver modules - since all disks
are SCSI).  I have since restored the original kernel and have it running
again, but I think the errors were along the lines of unresolved symbols,
or other linker/loader type errors.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I have done wrong, and what I
should do?

(As an interesting corollary:  When I installed onto a single-CPU PIII,
it was the smp kernel that was installed!)

Brian.
        Brian Schroeder              |
 ,-_|\   [EMAIL PROTECTED]           |
/     \  Origin Energy Resources Ltd |        Anyone can hate,
\_,-*_/  Adelaide Australia          |      but it costs to love.
     v   GPO Box 2576 Adelaide 5001  |
        PH +61 8 8217 5782           |