On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 07:41:58AM -0600, Vincent Danen wrote:

> I just bought a 20GB tape drive for my server and have a question about
> dump.  I'm using it like:
>
> /sbin/dump -0u -f /dev/st0 -B 20000000 /
> /sbin/dump -0u -f /dev/st0 -B 20000000 /home
>
> When I do this, it looks like dump overwrites the first backup of / so
> that only /home is one the tape.  Is there a way to dump multiple
> filesystems onto one tape using dump?  I have four partitions I need to
> backup, and want them put on the tape one after the other so my entire
> system is backed up.  I looked for some commandline arguments to specify
> volume or something similar to appending it to the end of the tape, but I
> can't find anything like that.
>
> Help!

When you run the dump, you are using /dev/st0 and the tape is rewinding
after it is done.. so when you run the next dump, it overwrites what
you just put on the tape.  Try using /dev/nst0 instead -- the "n" means
it will not rewind.

I could be wrong, but this is probably the case :)

--
Jon Changnon, Director of Operations
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]          p: 440.951.9525