From: Greg Gray
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, April 29, 2000 12:40 AM
Subject: [expert] dual 3c509 NICs fail on re-boot

This has really got me stumped and frustrated.  I am running LM 7.0.2 on an
Intel P133, 64 megs, 2.3 GB in HDDs, Trident 96xx video, SVGA monitor, SB16
sound card, and a pair of 3Com Etherlink III ISA NICs.  Performing a clean
new install, including formatting the HDDs, I have no problems setting up
the networking so that eth0 has connectivity to the net through a cable
modem, and eth1 has connectivity to my internal network.  Everything works
great, including forwarding and masquerading!  Eth0 is set to i/o 300, IRQ
10, eth1 is set to i/o 280, IRQ 11.  This was done with the 3Com DOS
utility.  PnP was disabled at the same time.  All IRQs are set to legacy in
the BIOS, and PnP support is disabled.

At some point in time, upon re-booting, both NICs will fail.  They work just
fine through a network restart.  The only way that I have been able to
recover is with a complete re-install.  Restarting the network doesn't
correct the problem.  Ifup doesn't work.  Ifconfig shows only my lo
interface.

This is the third go around with this problem.  It also happened with
6.something (the obvious answer here is that I have a hardware problem, but
the only hardware common to this time and the 6.something failure is the
Mobo, CPU, and case).  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Greg