You only need the telnet Daemon running if you intend to telnet into
your machine.  The Client can run without a local daemon, it just needs
a daemon on the server it wishes to communicate with.  Therefore, there
is no need to install the TelnetD package unless you plan to host
telnet services.

Unless I'm completely insane and mistaken about all the Unix and VMS
stuff I've been using for the past 10 years, this is a normal way of
doing client/server stuff.

--