Mike....well, I've got a lan with 2 Linux systems, 1 nt system
and 3 win98 systems.  One of the Linux computers is the
masquerading (gateway) system and has a 56k modem attached.
The other 5 systems connect to the internet through the
gateway system via the lan.  It works just fine.  I have no
trouble connecting with kppp while maintaining the lan
connections.  So, what do we need to cover to get you running?

Alan