OK...I have researched this until I am sick of trying :)

I have an AWE64 Creative PNP ISA card.....

ISAPNP works fine

The "LOADING SOUND" in DMESG reports no errors

under sndconfig  I can hear the sound file and the midi file no problem

I *CAN* play MP3's and the like

But when I attempt to do system sounds or play a wav file or anything....nadda

In fact, when I try and enable sounds under enlightenment, it says "Cannot
connect to sound server" or some such nonsense.

/dev/sndstat reports that the hardware is found ok under "Audio Devices" but
there are NOT the usual drivers listed (or any for that matter) under
"Installed Drivers"

This card worked fine under the Redhat 6.0 and 6.1 installs I did, but I cannot
get it configure under Mandrake 7.0.

Anyhelp greatly appriciated! -Aaron