I have been able to use my CDrw as a CDrom under Mdk 7.0-2, but have not been
able to get it to write. It would, however, blank rewritable CD's!  For various
reasons, I have been unable to devote much time to solving this, and none of
the suggestions this group gave me (some time ago) helped, so I resigned myself
to using Win95 as my Cd burner.

All that has changed, but I can't understand how! So now I'm more puzzled than
ever...

Here's what has happened:

I installed Red Hat 6.2 on another partition, (on the other drive) and
immediately after, supermount in Mdk died. The supermount enable and disable
commands appear to make the required changes to fstab, but clicking on the
icons brings up an empty directory - the device is not mounted. Also, a message
"the kernel does not recognise /dev/cdrom2 as a block device (maybe 'insmod
driver'?)" appeared twice during the boot sequence. This was fixed by making
the cdrom and cdrom2 entries the same. Manually creating device icons allows me
to mount and unmount the cdrom and cdrw (cdrom2) now, and, amazingly, cdrecord
now works! so I can burn CD's.

Only one (small) hitch, I can't mount the burner until after I use the cdrecord
-scanbus command. If I try to access the burner before giving that
command, I get :  "Could not mount" "mount: the kernel does not recognise
/dev/cdrom2 as a block device (maybe 'insmod driver'?)"
but once I have issued a cdrecord -scanbus  the mount works
until I reboot the machine.If, however, I burn a cd, then try to mount the
cdrw, I get "wrong major or minor number" sometimes, and sometimes it mounts???

Oh, yes, I have to use cdrecord as root - is there any way to run it as an
ordinary user?

My fstab file is:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/DOS_hda1 vfat user,exec,conv=binary,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/DOS_hdb1 vfat user,exec,conv=binary,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hda2 /mnt/redhat ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb5 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hdb6 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy     auto sync,user,noauto,nosuid,nodev,unhide       0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      auto user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro   0 0
/dev/cdrom2     /mnt/cdrom2     auto user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro   0 0

and /dev/cdrom2 links to /dev/scd0. I have hdd=ide-scsi in lilo.conf as well.

I am thoroughly confused as to how installing Red Hat 6.2 on another drive
could have made any changes to my Mandrake system (these persist even if I boot
off the boot floppy I made at install).  Since it got my burner working, I'm not
complaining, mind you :-) but I would love an explanation for any of the above
if anyone has one.

 --  Trevor Farrell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]