Hi. I've been running Mandrake 7.0 on my laptop and a couple of machines
here at work for a few months. But I tried upgrading my desktop machine
at home from RH5.2 to MDK7.0 last weekend, and am dead in the water on
PPP connectivity (been using it daily for 4 years on various versions of
RH, but I haven't had to reconfigure for maybe two years).

I did a clean install, and I am starting from scratch on configuration
for PPP. Seems to be OK, but the symptom is that ping and DNS work just
fine across the interface, but every other protocol I've tried (ftp,
ssh, http, ...) sends packets out but never get anything back (according
to tcpdump -i ppp0). I have some indication that packets come back
occasionally from the machines I'm targeting, but never very quickly and
never the right ones.

The only difference from my old hardware configuration is that I've
installed and configured a PCI ethernet card for a LAN.

The ppp log does report some negotiation rejections when connecting, but
eventually times out and quiets down.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I saw a thread from a year ago on the
mailing list which mentioned identical symptoms, but it didn't mention
the solution. I *know* it is something simple, but I'm just missing it.
I can send lots of details if that would help.

TIA

                           - Thomas

--
Thomas Lockhart