Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> Hi. I've been running Mandrake 7.0 on my laptop and a couple of machines
> here at work for a few months. But I tried upgrading my desktop machine
> at home from RH5.2 to MDK7.0 last weekend, and am dead in the water on
> PPP connectivity (been using it daily for 4 years on various versions of
> RH, but I haven't had to reconfigure for maybe two years).
>
> I did a clean install, and I am starting from scratch on configuration
> for PPP. Seems to be OK, but the symptom is that ping and DNS work just
> fine across the interface, but every other protocol I've tried (ftp,
> ssh, http, ...) sends packets out but never get anything back (according
> to tcpdump -i ppp0). I have some indication that packets come back
> occasionally from the machines I'm targeting, but never very quickly and
> never the right ones.
>
> The only difference from my old hardware configuration is that I've
> installed and configured a PCI ethernet card for a LAN.
>
> The ppp log does report some negotiation rejections when connecting, but
> eventually times out and quiets down.
>
> Does this ring a bell with anyone? I saw a thread from a year ago on the
> mailing list which mentioned identical symptoms, but it didn't mention
> the solution. I *know* it is something simple, but I'm just missing it.
> I can send lots of details if that would help.
>
> TIA
>
>                            - Thomas
>
> --
> Thomas Lockhart
> Caltech/JPL
> Interferometry Systems and Technology
There are the following sources of errors common

DNS servers--usually need to list and of course nameservers
should be in /etc/ppp/resolv.conf
Default gateway  (it has to point to ppp0 as gateway device)
Protocol--is it script-based or PAP?  Try both to see for sure

Finally, what security level?  The higher levels ppp is asking
the remote server to authenticate itself and the workaround there
is to put

noauth

in

/etc/ppp/options