Benjamin Sher wrote:

> Dear Frank:
>
> You might consider investing in an APC battery (under $100). I have had
> one since day one. It give you an extra 7-13 minutes to allow you to
> shutdown Linux gracefully in case of an outage or storm.

I have to admit I'm a bit confused about this ....

I've been running Redhat (starting from release 5.2 - currently using
6.1) both at home & work for a couple of years and just recently tried
Mandrake 7.0 at a friends suggestion 3 months or so ago, I also have a
couple of FreeBSD (3.0) machines kicking around and none of them have
ever failed to come backup after a power outage or accidental shut-down
and I use nothing more than a generic powerbar.

Yes .. they complain a bit at startup ... check the various partitions
and tell me they were not properly unmounted - but basically that's it.

MDM