On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 10:52:22AM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
-> On 31 May, Charles Curley wrote:
-> > ->    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
-> > -> /dev/hda1             1       277   2094088+   6  FAT16
-> > -> /dev/hda2           278       556   2109240    5  Extended
-> > -> /dev/hda3   *       557       563     52920   83  Linux
-> > -> /dev/hda4           564      1268   5329800   83  Linux
-> > -> /dev/hda5           278       556   2109208+   7  HPFS/NTFS
-> > ->
-> >
-> > Other, your partition table is royally clobbered.
-> >
->
-> Kinda figgered that...
->
-> > hda1-4 should be either primary or extended partitions. Logical partitions
-> > should be hda5 and up. Notice the cylinders of hda5: it occupies the same
-> > space on the drive as hda2. You have a primary partition, hda1, and two
-> > extended partitions that overlap, then two more primary partitions. One of
-> > the extended partitions is not numbered correctly and should not even
-> > exist.
-> >
->
-> Hmmm... I don't understand. Only the 2nd partition is supposed to be
-> extended. That's an NT (or FAT?) partition. It was created (or at least
-> modified) with Partition Magic.

hda2 is an extended partition, both according to the file system ID and what
it does: it holds other, logical, partitions within it. hda5 is labeled 7,
NTFS or HPFS, but it really is an extended partition. I don't know how it
got created or labled, but it should never have been created, and, having
been created an extended partition, it should have been IDed as such.

->
-> > You should immediately abandon and never use again whatever program you
-> > used to partition this drive.
-> >
->
-> The first two partitions were created with PM and 3-5 were (suposed to be)
-> created by the Mandrake install process. So you're saying I should... No, I
-> don't think you are. :-) I have to think about what I'm gonna do about this.

You probably used a custom install (the only way to preserve the FAT
partition), which meant you manully created the partitions with Disk Druid
or fdisk. fdisk would have both enforced the numbering and prevented the
overlapping partitions, and disk druid ought to have (I don't use disk
druid, so I don't know if it does).

->
-> > Here is what I have on a similar hard drive:
-> >
->
-> <snip>
->
-> > Check the cylinders for the various partitions and you will see that the
-> > logical partitions hda5-hda9 all fit within the extended partition hda2,
-> > which is as it should be. I partitioned this drive manually with Linux'
-> > fdisk, and it enforces the partition numbers for logical and extended and
-> > primary partitions.
-> >
->
-> Hmmm... indeed. Hmmm...
->
->
-> >    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks    Id  System
-> > /dev/hda1             1       277   2094088+    6  FAT16
-> > /dev/hda2           278      1268   ???????     5  Extended
-> > /dev/hda5   *       557       563     52920    82  Linux native
-> > /dev/hda6           564       ??? size to suit 83  Linux swap
-> > /dev/hda7           ???      1268    ??????    82  Linux native
-> >
-> > You could probably make hda5 smaller; I usually use about 16 MB for my
-> > /boot partitions.
-> >
-> > Then you get to re-install Linux.
-> >
->
-> Well, reinstalling isn't a problem. It's reconfiguring that's a b*tch.

Indeed. That is why I suggested you back up the directories I
indicated. Oh, and add, any other configuration files, like that for X.

->
-> > Ideally, do a total backup before you do this so you can restore
-> > afterwards. Short of that, back up /home, /root and /etc, so you can
-> > restore those when you are done, and have most of your setup.
-> >
->
-> That's probably what I'll have to do. I'll maybe reinstall the whole thing
-> over the weekend. *Sigh*.

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley