Jesse....I haven't found any rpms for the newest release of
gaim either, but here's an alternative for you.

As root I put he below file in my /opt directory and executed
it.  I then removed it from the /opt directory and stored it.
In the resulting /opt/aim directory there is a executable
script file called aim.  As a user you can link a desktop,
panel, or menu icon to that aim file and a java version of
AOL's aim client will launch on your desktop when you click
that icon.

To remove the whole thing if you don't like it, just delete
the /opt/aim directory and any linked icons you've made.

ftp://ftp.newaol.com/aim/java/aim_1.1.19_linux.sh

Alan