On Fri, 02 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> Well, 7.0 has settable security levels.  Most linux distros
> equate to security level 2 (low) in their defaults.  If you set
> Security level 4 or 5 (High or paranoid)  You will set a daemon
> loose that audits your system for security and makes changes
> appropriatr to your security level--setuid bits are handy
> targets, and so are connection permissions to other machines.
>
> For better results except on servers, stay with a security level
> of medium or lower or figure to operate many things in chroot
> jails as a jailed root
>
> John Hawk wrote:
> >
> > Is anyone aware of why in MDK 7.0 a suid as root with modprobe suid would fail
> > to load a module.
> >
> > Example modprobe ppa (also call's parport) error orignates from parport.
> > "Operation not permitted"  I have only obseved this in MDK 7.0. Obviously it is
> > a security issue but who,what,where and why?

Perhaps I failed to articulate the problem!
This occurs despite security level (low - medium -high).
For this reason I was looking for a "known bug" type of situation.
One would think if the executing program has both seteuid setegid (confirmed)
root that a exec should be performed. However, for some odd reason I can not
track where the denial is originating. I would assume a posibble culprit to be
security system pam.  This is a royal pain in the southern hemisphere!

Has anyone observed such untoward behavior?

 --  Visionary : John Hawk
Email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  GPL Developer
Latest Project: http://visionary-hawk.webjump.com/lnxzip.html