On Sun, 04 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> I am trying to get dynamip (www.dynamip.com) to work with my linux box
> and cable modem connection. Dynamip gives you a
> "subdomain.dynamip.com" address for $3 buck a month. To get their
> service to work with Linux, I will have to use cron to force netscape
> to open a specific url every 15 minutes. I am in the process of
> putting together some scripts to do just that.
>
> As a test, I did the following.
> I made a file called "netscapetab" with the contents:
>
> #Start of netscapetab
>
>        #! /bin/sh
>
>        netscape  -noraise -remote 'openurl(http://www.news.com)'
>
> #End of netscapetab
>

> I did a "chkmod +x netscapetab" to make the script executable. Run
> from the shell, this script will find the first open netscape window
> and load up the News.com web site.
>
> As a test of cron I modified my crontab as follows
>

> #Start of crontab
>
>    SHELL=/bin/bash
>    PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
>    MAILTO=root
>    HOME=/
>
>    # run-parts
>    01  * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
>    02  4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
>    22  4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
>    42  4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly
>    */1 * * * * root /usr/bin/netscapetab
>
>    # Mandrake-Security : if you remove this comment, remove the next line too.
>    0   0 * * *    root    /etc/security/msec/cron-sh/security.sh
>
> #End of crontab
>
> Now /var/log/cron shows /usr/bin/netscapetab running every minute. But my
> browser window does not open News.com.
>
> Any ideas.

idea 1  --

your script is running as root, your open netscape window isn't, and
can't be found

idea 2 --

do you really need to waste all that memory running netscape to get
the url? From the above, you just need to hit some website every few minutes to
have your dynamic ip assignment working. And I assume that news.com is not the
real website that you need to hit, it's probablly something on dynamip.com. Why
not try something like

wget -O /dev/null http://www.news.com

in your crontab instead?

 --
Alex
(Go easy on me, I'm a COBOL programmer in real life)