On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 03:11:02PM -0400, John Aldrich wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> > Hello all.
> >
> > I've got the Apache set up (default from install).  So I've also set up a
> > public_html directory under a couple of users and have set a chmod 755 on
> > the public_html directories.  Unfortunatly when I try to http to the files
> > it tells me that I don't have permission.  Any ideas why?
> >
> Try 775 on those subdirectories. Also, I *think* you have
> to have an HTML file in there before Apache will browse
> that directory.

The permissions certainly do not have to be that loose, although
that will work.

You may be correct about needing to have an HTML file in there,
but it would have to be an index file of some kind, such as
"index.html".  If the Indexing behavior is turned off on Apache
then it will not display an index unless there is an index
file present.. AFAIK.

I don't know off-hand what the default is set to upon installation
of Mandrake w/Apache.

--
Jon Changnon, Director of Operations
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]          p: 440.951.9525