First of all

When the CD comes up with the first screen and it says "hit F1
for help". Try it.

You will find text install/expert mode at your fingertips, and
also graphic installs where you preset the memory, and yes, even
how to use the CD as a rescue.  I am seeing complaints about
leaving out the modes where there is user control, and they
haven't been left out.

For some specific problems, there is
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/heliumlast.php3.

XFree86 4.0 is still not ready for prime time.  It was included
on the 7.1 release but you are asked during installation if you
want to test it.  If it doesn't work for your chipset, that is
not a Mandrake bug.  Consider XFree86 version 4 a preview.  In
the mean time 3.3.6 is reliable and its install has improved so
much over 7.0 that I am able to squeeze performance out of cheap
PCI video cards I have never been able to do before, not even
with tweaking XF86Config.  (Example: 800x600x32 out of Trident
TGUI 9680 generic card where the best before achievable was
800x600x16).

Reiserfs still seems like it might need more work.  I did a
fall-back to ext2 on the server install, because I managed to
hose the /home directory copying it back over the nfs.

All of my systems here took 6.1 well, and needed help with 7.0-2
(especially expert install and avoiding sensing PCI devices).
Now we seem to be back to "no errors to fix".

I have four systems in place--the server, and three workstations
(the worst of them).  The rest can wait till we purchase Power
Packs.