> I did all that but then gave up and put the 3c509 card in the win98
> (kids) box.  It installs on win98, I set IP to local 192.168.1.2
> but winipcfg/ipconfig show 0.0.0.0 instead. I don't get it !!!

Of all the nonsense, the 3c509 TP ISA card caused the floppy drive
to stop working (I took it to the shop).  It seems that these old
cards were meant for old PCs (386/486) that had the controller cards
placed in an ISA slot.  On newer PCs with onboard controllers, this
seems to cause an interrupt problem.

I bought a D-link card and will save the 3c509 for a 486.

Another things I discovered the hard way (ie: lots of time wasted),
was the win95 laptop from work could see the win98 and winNT
(shared drives), but not the other way around.  The problem is that
the original win95A version was crap (yes, they're all crap) but
the win95 OSR2 solved this problem.

Oh, will the fun never end ... ;)

Thanks... Dan.

P.S. Samba is a later exercise to do.