I just installed SSH on two computers. I set up one, tester, as the
server, and the other, charlesc, as client. I could log in from the client
to the server just find. I then restarted both machines. ssh refuses top
alloacate a pseudo tty:

root@charlesc # ssh -v -t -l root tester
SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.3, protocol version 1.5.
Compiled with SSL.
debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config

                 debug: ssh_connect: getuid 0 geteuid 0 anon 0
debug: Connecting to tester [192.168.1.12] port 22.
debug: Allocated local port 844.
debug: Connection established.
debug: Remote protocol version 1.5, remote software version OpenSSH-1.2.3
debug: Waiting for server public key.
debug: Received server public key (768 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
debug: Host 'tester' is known and matches the host key.
debug: Encryption type: 3des
debug: Sent encrypted session key.
debug: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug: Received encrypted confirmation.
debug: Trying RSA authentication with key 'root@charlesc'
debug: Received RSA challenge from server.
debug: Sending response to host key RSA challenge.
debug: Remote: RSA authentication accepted.
debug: RSA authentication accepted by server.
debug: Requesting pty.
Warning: Remote host failed or refused to allocate a pseudo tty.
debug: Requesting shell.
debug: Entering interactive session.

At this point, ssh hangs on charlesc, and I have to kill it.

If I try to log in from charlesc to itself, I get:

root@charlesc # ssh -v -t -l root charlesc
SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.3, protocol version 1.5.
Compiled with SSL.
debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug: Applying options for *
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 0 geteuid 0 anon 0
debug: Connecting to charlesc.localdomain [192.168.1.3] port 22.
debug: Allocated local port 848.
debug: Connection established.

and I have to control-C out again.

Both machines are running Mandrake 6.1. The packages installed are:

root@charlesc # rpm -qa | grep -i ssh
openssh-1.2.3-2
openssh-clients-1.2.3-2
openssh-server-1.2.3-2
root@charlesc # rpm -qa | grep -i ssl
openssl-0.9.5a-1

Any suggestions?

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley

PGP signature