Dan.
   I've had simular problems with my Optiquest monitor even though I know
the mode lines.  What I have been able to do since
7.0 is use DrakeConf  I just accept the best XF86Config will give me (even
though it "passes" a higher test).  Then in DrakeConf I'm able to set my
monitor and resolution without a hassle.  You might try this and see if it
works for you as well.

James