I use Kpilot, and I've found that even when Kpilot is running, the palm won't
"hot-sync" until the actual program that interfaces with the serial port
(called kpilotDaemon) is running.

Try running a terminal (alt-f2, type xterm) and then running kpilotDaemon in
the terminal so that you can view any error messages produced.

Also, I suggest that you say that you HAVE NOT synced your pilot for the first
time already, as the software under windows is different from the linux
software, and I expect that the linux software wants to do a full backup of
your pilot the first time, and only do an incremental backup after that.

Jay Summet