On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 12:49:09PM -0600, Daniel Woods wrote:
->
-> (I need to ftp 300MB from work to home, and no cd-burner, or VPN access)
->
-> I've recently installed and configured a new linux machine as
-> a web server and firewall (connected to cable modem).
->
-> Using ftp and telnet from my NT used to work but now FTP can't
-> seem to accept commands.  Telnet and browser work with my
-> IP Masq set to DENY everything and ALLOW forward from local
-> 192.168.*  FTP does connect (from NT or LM7.1 server)
-> to sites and accept passwords, but it won't process commands.
-> WS-FTP (win) says that packets are not coming from 192.168.*
-> and in LM, I just get the ftp prompt with no change.
->
-> Is this what is meant by passive mode ?  There was no such
-> setting in WS-FTP, and I don't know where to look in LM.
-> My /etc/inetd.conf contains
-> #
-> ftp stream  tcp nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l -a
-> telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd
->
-> and I restrict them in /etc/hosts.allow
-> ftp:       127.0.0.1 192.168.1. xxx.yyy.zzz.
-> (xxx.* is a trusted subnet at work)
->
-> In my rc.firewall file, I tried adding
->     # These modules are necessary to masquerade their respective services.
->     /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
->
-> but no change.  What do I do next ?
->
-> Thanks... Dan.

Two thoughts.

1. If you are using IP masqurading, I believe the is an FTP module to
install as well.

2) Try using ncftp. Aside from the fact that you can set transfers up to
runin the background, it will use passive mode if it can in the background
mode.

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley

PGP signature