Lester,

        Thats the ticket the gateway is your problem. A gateway is a network
point that acts as an entrance to another network. On the Internet, in terms
of routing, the network consists of gateway nodes and host nodes. The
computers of network users and the computers that serve content (such as Web
pages) are host nodes. The computers that control traffic within your
company's network or at your local Internet service provider (ISP) are
gateway nodes.

Now note most addressing is done out of tradition but it might not be so
were you are at also assuming you are on a class c network. So lets say that
your ip address is 192.168.0.123 and your DNS servers might be located
192.168.0.1. so usually in this case the gateway is located at
192.168.0.254. But again this is left up to the admin who assigned the ip
address. Your best bet is to ask the Windoze and NETWET guy :) what the
gateway is. As soon as you get that you should be in like Flynn.

You can also check your network settings by typing ifconfig at the console.
and if everything looks good try to ping a site and if you get a reply your
up.

Cheers,
Eric Peters     Mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
System Admin Network Operations