Submitted 24-Jun-00 by Pj:
> Anton,
>
> Ok, I need to clarify myself a little: Font server crashes in GIMP
> everytime I try to select a font. I can click and preview the first
> four fonts in the list without problem. Click and preview number five
> locks the program and creates the error mesage.

This I cannot reproduce in GIMP 1.1.22.  Could you provide your
version number so that I can try with that version?

> I am not completely familiar with the boot process. I see a comment
> that X number of blocks were cleaned..followed by a statement that
> /dev/hdb1 reached maximal mount count, check forced..I watch the
> percent process. It finishes with the statement that .01% is non
> contiguous. The login finishes in a normal manner

Okay, this is normal behavior.  Essentially Linux keeps track of how
many times a particular partition has been mounted and forces an fsck
at boot time if the number of mounts exceeds a certain number :)  The
message just tells you the result of that check.

> Kppp is configured for server assigned addresses. I have two ISP's. I've
> never had the *reset* problem before, if this is a *normal function* that
> is all I need to know.

Alright, go into the setup menu for kppp, select one one of the
accounts and click edit.  Select the IP tab in the new window and
ensure that the checkbox at the bottom (Auto-configure hostname from
this IP) is _not_ checked.

> Everytime I log out I see many Gnome error messages. Here is a small
> sample: rm: Cannot remove '/home/ibi/.gnome //gmc-0L6CF2': No such
> file or directory. Gnome VT-warning **: Could not open help topic
> file NULL. Warning: gnome_is_image_filename called, you should use
> gnome mime instead.

Hmm...  So these errors are on your terminal screen when you close the
X session?  If this is the case, they may be errors generated by
applications used within GNOME.  One way to test this is to open a
teminal and run the applications from there.  It is apparent that
*something* is not quite right :/

You said GNOME always starts with two windows open.  Assuming that you
want these two windows open everytime you start GNOME, try closing all
windows, repoen those two and logout checking the save current setup
box.  This *may* remove any extraneous entries from your
~/.gnome/session file.

> BTW, I don't think the AMD CPU is the problem. I am quite unsure
> about the motherboard though. I don't know that I've ever seen the
> TYAN S1590s mentioned in this list. In fact I don't recall any
> Tyan/VIA chip being mentioned here.

I would agree with that assessment.  The only thing I can remember
specifically about VIA chipsets is a kernel compile option with regard
to the onboard drive controllers.

--
       _
     _|_|_