Anton,

First, many thanks. The auto configure host name box was checked! I unchecked
it.

"Atlantis" is the screensaver I have enabled.

Versions:
Gimp 1.04; Gnome Panel: 1.0.55; 2.2.14-24mdk_i486 on a i586.

When X starts I see the blue screen; the Gnome logo; enlightenment
starting; user screen; desktop icons; Gnome Help Index** window and
/home/ibi/directory open.
**Gnome Users Guide; Error loading ghelp: users-guide not installed.
TOC: man pages.. OK
(Aside: I don't think I can prevent these two 'start' windows from opening,
but it sure would be nice.*)

At shut down I see the previously mentioned Gnome errors plus these comments:
xscreensaver-command: no screensaver is running on display :0.0
xscreensaver disabling server builtin screensaver
xscreensaver: you can re-enable it with "xset s on."

rm: cannot remove /home/ibi/.gnome //gmc-(this number changes each time)

This is how I create the Gimp lockup:
1-open Gimp
2-select: new
3-select: default window size
4-select color: red
5-select: alphabet tool. Drop down menu appears with area to type text
6-Type text: "Test"
7-Select first font and preview. Do not select font.
8-Repeat font selection and preview. Do not select font.
9-Select fifth font. *No preview.* Gimp Locks up.

Pj
[EMAIL PROTECTED]