Norvell Spearman wrote:

> In what way could the hard drive not be up to spec?  The original post said
>  the problem didn't exist with Mandrake 7.0.
>
> Not trying to butt in, but I also have an IDE device which did work with
> 7.0 but does not with 7.1.
>
> ---Norvell Spearman
>
> John Aldrich wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've got a WD136BA hard disk on my hpt366 controller. If I try to use
> > > DMA for disk access, my system freezes. This problem didn't exist with
> > > Mandrake 7.0, but it appeared when I installed 7.1. I tried to upgrade
> > > my bios. Nothing changed. After that, I compiled another kernel
> > > (2.3.45). Same problem. I compiled 2.2.15 and 2.3.45 in 386 code
> instead
> > > of 586. Always the same problem.
> > >
> > Probably due to the hard drive not being up to spec.
> >         John

Run hdparm on 7.0 and see what mode it was running--bet it was udma33 .  7.1
does UDMA66 out of the box and a LOT of cheap drives are out of spec for that,
even ones advertised to be UDMA66, and ESPECIALLY Western Digital, not by poor
quality but by poor and cheap design.

read it all here

http://kt.linuxcare.com/kernel-traffic/kt20000214_54.epl  @nd item.

Civileme