On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> IDE devices seem to be a major problem with 7.1 I have been seeking help
> with a cdrom/burner for over a month...and it still doesn't work....mandrake
> support has been 0 help as well....I keep saying it's a bug...but seems that
> word is only associated with mickeysoft....but it's a bug they NEED to
> address....

Just out of curiosity, have you tried setting it up using ide-scsi
and all that? I use a SCSI CDRW myself, so I can't be much help.
IIRC, though, at least in previous versions of Mandrake (and RedHat)
you needed to load the ide-scsi module as well as adding
'append="hdX=ide-scsi"' to your lilo.conf in order to get an IDE
CDR/RW to work in Linux.
        John