"Jim P." wrote:

> CDROMS are a big problem for 7.1.  I have been dealing with a simular issue
> for a month...still no help...I have been begging mdk support and all the
> lists for help, and ya know what...most of the time no one even
> responds....I have found red hat 6.2 to be a viable option everything works
> fine with it....you just have to manually unmount the cd to remove it....
>
> 7.1 has a major bug in it.
>
> Jim
>
> > I've reported this to "bugs" but don't expect any response from there...
> >
> > I successfully installed 7.1 on my desktop with some issues; but none like
> > trying to install 7.1 on my Tecra500CDT where the install process proceeds
> quite
> > nicely through the first CD...
> >
> > Then... the prompt to change CDs...  Mandrake does not unlock the CD
> drive!
> > I've tried graphical and text installs several times looking for ways
> around
> > this.  I've even risked blowing up the h/w by ejecting the entire drive
> and
> > re-inserting it; this unlocked the drive but resulted in a segv.  Then,
> there is
> > the issue that I can't leave the machine or it will also refuse to
> re-light the
> > screen if I wait too long; balancing my stapler on the Shift key provides
> some
> > relief here...
> >
> > If I install just the first CD, is there a simple way to later proceed
> with the
> > 2nd CD?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Pierre
> >
> > I've purchased 6.0 and 6.5(6.1); but I skipped 7.0 because it wouldn't
> even get
> > past the floppy part of the install on this laptop.  7.1 looks much better
> (even
> > after trying all the distros (except Corel and FreeBSD) from LinuxMall's
> > megapack); but this problem....  :^P

Frankly, I would imagine that anyone able to duplicate the behavior would
respond..  But if no one else can duplicate it, because they don't see it on
their equipment, then it is a much more difficult problem to diagnose.

And with the general lack of information...  Even knowing the make and model of
a particular packaged computer might not help  Some of these devices have
hundreds of field engineering modifications or production line modificatrions
during the period of manufacture  (e. g. we can no longer get the Fujitsu CD
for this laptop, so we will go with Tandon, but no need to change the model
number embossed on the next 15,732 cases...)

No one on these lists has any obligation to respond to any posts.  They are
here to provide and receive help as they choose, and as volunteers.  And they
do not like to talk about what they do not know or cannot observe.

I hope this helps understanding of the other side of the problem.  Helping in
the blind is something very difficult to do.

Civileme