Pierre Fortin wrote:

> Civileme wrote:
> >
> > Do the first CD in GRAPHICAL install and when it calls for the second, click OK
> > The installation will complete without installing anything from the second CD.
>
> "OK" just gives the same dialog; only Cancel is valid here.
>
> The install proceeds; but suffers from a MAJOR flaw IMHO...  this has happened
> on the desktop and now the laptop:  install finds devices (seen in the virt cons
> logs), activates them (NE2000 PCMCIA in this case), then can't find the right
> device, so you tell it, then it can't autoprobe it (maybe 'cuz it's still active
> (lights on and LAN traffic flickering one)), so you give it the same params as
> displayed on the virt cons and still it refuses to accept it.
>
> Then, we get to X...  for the install, the display is perfect, nice crisp small
> fonts etc... then the X configurator can't figure out how it got the great
> display...  I now have "Welcome to [localhost]" in a "crayon" font. :)
>
> > THEN go back and reinstall, but do not format any partitions--it will get
> > immediately to the second CD and you should find the door open.
>
> Sorry, but that's not the case.  One virt cons reports file not found.  At
> least, you got me to a crippled; but useable system which is a big step.  I'd
> considered trying that; but now seeing how long it takes to finish from this
> point, I might have assumed the install was in a loop.
>
> > I don't buy from linuxmall since EBIZ took them over, so I have no idea what their
> > pack is like.  I have found everything EBIZ touches turns sour.  They handle the
> > things that are hot and cheap and their ability to serve customers is basically
> > nonexistent.  Their CPU Micromart uses the finest PCChips components (avoid at all
> > costs), and thier Personal Internet Appliance uses a linmodem (with a proprietary
> > driver).  They apparently have no clue what open-source is about and they obviously
> > don't care.
>
> The megapack was good enough to give me an idea of each distro.  Initially, I
> liked Caldera; but it got hacked into almost as soon as it was setup...  Mdk 7.1
> is an improvement over RH; but there are some glitches that need fixing if we
> are to attact more users.
>
> The biggest "glitch" IMHO is the inability to install the settings which the
> installation process correctly found and used for itself.  It looks very
> unprofessional when a new user sees the install process looking very nice, then
> refuses to give the user the same kind of quality display.  Worse, have the
> network adapter correctly found, enabled, then refuse to "see" and configure it
> in the formal network setup step.
>
> IMHO, the fancy installs have gotten fancy enough; now it's time to make them
> *work*.
>
> Please take all this as *constructive* criticism.  I may not always have the
> solution; but that is no reason to put Mandrake into a "I can't fix what I don't
> know about" dilema by failing to report...

> [...]

Actually, nw that you have that much of the install, login as root and use Kpackage to
draw the rest from the ext disk.

I would love to know what dmesg says...  That CD problem is NOT a common report, and
they have a lot of trouble fixing what they cannot duplicate.

Nope, didn't see your bug reports--soon there will be a decent bug-tracking system, I
am
told.  We just need a little more patience.  Anyway, I am not employed by Mandrakesoft,
but I do try to help wherever I can, cause I know how hard these guys work.

Civileme