All,
    Forgive me for butting in on this one but I ran into the same situation
on 7.0 when I chose a security level above medium on the install and here
is what I did to get telnet et al back

1.  uncomment the lines in inetd.conf concerning telnet and ftp.
2.  uncomment the telnet and ftp lines in /etc/services.
2.  install telnet server package.  It didn't get installed, without it
telnet doesn't work and I don't think ssh will either.
3.  install ftp client (wu-ftpd for example and be sure and grab the new
one it seemed to need this even though I had scp)
4.  at the prompt type killall -HUP inetd to restart inetd.

This is what worked for me, hope it works for you.

Nightwriter