You can telnet in as root if you really want to, all you have to do is (as root
of course)

vi /etc/securetty
At the end of the file append:
0
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0

What this file does is say what ttys are allowed to login as root. Doing the
above essentially allows all. Not suggested for a production system, but quite
useful otherwise.

-David Talbot