-----Original Message-----
From: Brian T. Schellenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Saturday, July 08, 2000 9:37 PM
Subject: Re: [expert] Cannot install 7.1, why!?!?

>For the Unixly expert but hardwarily newbie among us, how
does one go
>about underclocking (or overclocking, or in general didldling
with the
>clock)?
>
>Is there a reference you could point me to?

You mean like "overclocker's Anonymous?"

;-}

Ummm  --  www.google.com search on overclocking.

For the Overclocker the best cooling and hardware to cook
celery or other fruits is

www.computernerd.com

How to over/underclock?  Some do it with manuals and jumper
blocks on the motherboard.  Many mainboards are shipped with
three adjustments of importance

Processor core and I/O voltage  (two settings)

Front-Side or Main Bus speed  (usually 3-4 blocks coding a
number of settings from 66MHz to 133MHz)

Processor Multiplier (well the shunt of the crystal to the
processor clock can be 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4. 4.5, 5 or
even more times the bus speed setting.

Alternatively, many new boards offer settings in the BIOS and
even specific key combos to bypass the rest of the BIOS
routines and go directly to the clocks.  The AZ-11 from FIC
can be set to optimize the speeds and to overvoltage the
processor (to push the clock even higher)  The only jumpers on
the mainboard are overvoltage and CMOS clear.

Civileme