Deryk Barker wrote:

> Thus spake Janar Kokk ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
>
> > I think you didn't understood my question.
> >
> > I want to not allow my machine's users to run any backround processes such
> > as eggdrop etc
>
> You can use ulimit to limit the number of processes, but don't set it
> to 1 or they won't be able to run *anything* - bash (and other shells)
> fork a new process for each command.

And, to worsen matters, how would they run some of the ordinary programs that use
background processes?  I think it might be a bit to embedded to exclude.  OTOH,
if you have a list of what you do not want users to run...  Easily done with
permissions.

And with ulimit, what about netscape?  It runs as a child of a library process
and each netscape window ....  Errrk.   Guess you wouldn't have asked if it was
easy to figure out :-}.

Civileme