-----Original Message-----
From: Ivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sunday, July 09, 2000 11:20 PM
Subject: [expert] qt dependancy problem and usb query

>Hello.
>
>I am trying to install the latest version of nethack which
requires the
>qt 2.1.0 or better.  When I try to install the package there
is a list
>of decpenancies about three miles long that will be broken.
Most of
>then are kde apps.  They all want libqt.so.1.   After the
list the core
>dumps (?) .  My question is: will it totaly mess things up if
I upgrade
>with out looking for dependancies?  I would think that an
upgrade should
>be backwards compatible.  There are two that need
qt-egcs-10x.

>Also I wonder how functional usb support for modems and zip
drives are
>in 7.0.  has any one had any luck?
>
>If anyone cares to you could tell me what file the fsck -l
looks for.  I
>think it is a secret.
>
>Thanks for the use of your "brainwidth"
>
>Ivan

USB support is much better in 7.1, but don't hope for modems
on the USB.  Guess what they are?  Yep, software modems
requiring proprietary, patented, binary-only drivers that
anyone who wants a sane, stable kernel avoids like the Black
Death.  I did see some posts
on cooker list by someone who had the USB zip working.

As for the qt library, ftp://us.mandrakesoft.com/pub/kde

has a current library rpm that will install in a place where
you can use it without breaking kde.

Then go to your favorite mirror for Mandrake or just locate
one from http://linux-mandrake.com and you will also find an
rpm that sets up a script for kde-1-and-kde-2 which allows
nethack and other kde2 specific and qt2 specific apps to run
under kde1.

Civileme